Things to see Cebu
Magellan’s Cross next to the Basilica del Santo Nino is an important historic landmark. It is housed in a circular chapel right in the heart of the Magellan street.
The large wooden cross was originally erected by Magellan in 1521, but soon destroyed by a local chief. Legazpi replace the cross half a century later. Today remnants of Legazpi’s original cross are encased in the wooden cross on display. The ceiling of the chapel is nicely painted and depicts the landing of Magellan and the erection of the cross.
Santo Niño Basilica and Musuem
Located next to Magellan’s Cross is the Santo Nino Basilica formerly known as the San Augustin Church. The first church was built in 1565 by an Augustinian priest to house a sculpture of the Holy Child Jesus left behind by the Magellan expedition and found by the Legazpi expedition some 40 years later. Between 1735 and 1737 a new stone church was constructed as ordered by the Governor of Cebu to replace the previous wooden structure. In 1965 the Vatican elevated the church to a Basilica in recognition of the important role it played in the Christianization of The Philippines. The Basilica is open daily and entrance is free, but if you want to get a glimpse of the sculpture you will have to spend some time in the long queue.
Casa Gorordo Museum
The two-storey house was built around 1850 by Alejendro Reynes in the wealthy Parian district of Cebu and later bought by Spanish merchant Juan Isidro De Gorordo. The house stayed four generations in the family and included the first Philippine bishop of Cebu - Juan Bautista Perfecto Gorordo. The place is one of the few buildings to survive the heavy bombing in WWII. Ground floor of the residence is constructed from coral stone blocks and the upper floors are made from hardwood and terra-cotta roof tiles. In the 1980 the house was converted in a museum showcasing various item related to Cebuano life in the 19th century. Items include Vienna chairs, a German piano and several catholic icons. The ground floor features a patio and a small library with historic photographs of Cebu. The museum is located at 35 Lopez Jaena Street and is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm. Admission fee for international visitors is70 php. Local visitors pay 40 php. For more pictures of Casa Gorordo, click this link.
Fort San Pedro.
Construction of the fort started in 1565 by the forces of Legazpi to protect against Moro pirates from the south. The triangular shaped fort with bastions on each point is named after the flagship from his expedition and got his current stone walls in the 1738. Since then it has been used by American forces used the fort as a military camp and defense line and by the Japanese as a prison. It suffered some damage as a result of heavy fighting, but restoration repaired most of the damage and today it is a tranquil garden with a small museum enclosed by stone walkable walls. The fort is located at the end of the Sergio Osmena Boulevard and open on Tuesday to Sunday from 8 am to 10 pm. Admission is 20 php.